Saturday, August 28, 2010

2 days before starting classes

Well here I sit, my last 2 days of freedom before school starts. I have been working in the field of nursing for over 2 years now, mostly in acute care. My name is Jessica, I am a special care aide. What`s so special about it you ask....not a whole lot! You go around, washing up people, assisting them in and out of bed, and cleaning up after them. Pretty much, I am their maid/waitress for the duration of my shift. It is not that I do not like my job, I just want to have something more challenging. 

So, 2 more sleeps. What am I getting myself into? 2 years of hitting the books, only to be told that I am not doing something right and that patients lives are in my hands...eek! I remember when I was in high school looking at my different options. From day 1, I had always wanted to be an accountant. Even when I was a little girl, I had dreamed about being a teacher. Being a nurse had never even crossed my mind. So, how did I end up here? 
Well, about three and a half years ago, I needed new options in my life. I had to do something else besides working at the local grocery store. I am smarter then that. So, I went online to look at the SIAST website, and decided to take the Continuing Care Assistant program. Now, having worked in the field for a couple of years, I want to challenge myself, and be able to do more medically. 

Many people have told me that I should go and take 4 years of school to become an RN. I am not ready to spend 4 years in school; 2 will be enough! I talked it over with a few people, and decided that being an LPN would be a good career move for me right now.

Am I worried about going back to school? Umm.....YES! I am scared shitless. I am not sure what is expected of me, who my classmates are going to be, and how I am going to get along with everybody. But, I guess time will tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment